Tuesday 22 October 2013

What lies ahead in 2014...

It took me a while to start writing again. Work and some personal issues kept me away from writing the normal mind provoking stuff... and to add the cherry on top, I need to admit that the reviews of the previous blog was rather well perceived.

Agree or disagree; love, politics and the economy make heads turn. It is those topics that often make one wonder if you mature enough to challenge it.

So today, lol hate me for this... we not all politicians, but we politically minded; we not always right but we never wrong - all it matters is how your opinion is perceived.

I recently took a drive with a friend to Pretoria North, and as we drove along I am reminded that we face yet another democratic election in 2014. I was shocked to realise that during November many young South Africans will be registering for next years elections. Many of them don't understand politics, neither knowing what right or wrong and not even sure who they want to lead the country.

As crazy and scary as it may sound... I don't know who to vote for. Yes I have an idea of who deserve my vote but in this country I have never came across a politician nor a party who committed and faithful to his promise to its voters.

Believe it or not. I recently spend three weeks in Beaufort West for a family crisis. This is my hometown. A town which I value most and a town which I still dream of returning to and help grow. The saddest thing of returning after a year, was to realise that nothing has changed. Still the same guy standing on the street corner looking for a job, still the same nurse at a public clinic who does not abide to the patient confidentiality rule and yes still the same gogo struggling to make ends meet.

But I need to admit. The one thing that dramatically changed is politicians who drive bigger and fancier cars; extended houses and the increase of nepotism when filling government jobs.

Well another thing which could be deemed as positive is the fact that a certain HR manager at a government department was realised from his duties; this probably because he had to many people appointed in positions they never been qualified for...

Strange but true, nepotism, unfair policies and discrimination will remain the order of the day unless we as voters become clear and certain of what we expect from our political parties.

No, don't get me wrong. This is not about the Beaufort West situation but rather an example of the problems in the country. Do you even realise that majority (over 80%) of ministers hail from the Kwazulu Natal province - is this because our president is from there or is merely just by chance and suitability.

Come on guys I am against no politician... in fact I often consider joining politics but for that I am too honest. I can't get on a train without paying for the ride. I cant live a flashy life while others suffer and neither can I appoint a brother knowing he is not qualified enough.

The crime situation in this country has increased because we take no regard of the judical system. Social problems get worst because our dear ministers doesn't hear the cry for help and to top it up people get sicker because our health practitioners no longer understand the oath to safe a life.

To me my friends, any politician wishing to gain my vote should be able to deliver and not just promise; and above all I am shopping for a politician who can confidently:
  • ensure that opportunities (employment, housing) is distributed evenly irrespective of race and class
  • fight against poverty and social problems which damages the economy of the country 
  • create employment opportunities for our youth no matter of race and to ensure that our health and criminal system is in tact
  • vest time in developing rural areas and break away from the urban comfort zones
  • put the people first...
Saddest part of it all, is that you currently see no politician in sight on farms fighting for workers rights... wait until there is mass action and media attention and witness how they flock to those areas. You don't see any politician visiting or addressing the needs of older people in the communities until election times. No politician even bother at this time to visit rural communities, until their votes are needed.

My dear political leader, I am not saying stop what you are doing; all I am asking is to prevent the bill to be at the expense of the voter... Do not make promises based on the mandate you received from the party you serve, but start to think of the needs of the people.

The only way we can protect this country, is not by making empty promises but by serving.

To my dear body out there, your vote is your choice and your secret. Use it to the best of your benefit and to ensure that together we fight for a better country where we equal and have access to the same resources be it in urban or rural areas.

Whatever lies ahead in 2014; our lives lies in our vote! Make sure you make the best decision!

No comments:

Post a Comment