Friday 13 December 2013

Wednesday 11 December 2013

I woke up early with the buzzing sounds of military helicopters over the roof of my Pretoria CBD flat. Opening the windows I heard the sounds of joyous people with a sense of mourning and celebration.

Getting ready for work, all what is in my mind is whether I should not just stay home and join in on the activities...

Wednesday 11 December 2013 will remain a remarkable day... A day when I saw how history unfold infront of a young South African man who does not have much knowledge of apartheid but who have read and been told about it... Yes this day mark the first day for the public to view Tat Madiba's "body laying in state"...

What a remarkable morning... Local and International Journalists all over the streets of Pretoria, while every single person try to be caught on camera.

But as I walk through the people; a few things went unnoticed... The sense of ubuntu, the spirit of unity and reconcillation... The dream of being together just as Tata has fought for....

Yes I do not know much about apartheid, and what I do know is that what been told to me through history books, articles, etc. I do not know where Mandela's death will lead us but I can be for sure that I we continue with the spirit in which we celebrate his life, then certainly we can reach milestones as a nation and continent.

The early morning spirit of the people brought some joy to my heart and it immediate made me to rethink back of South Africa a few years ago...

1. I thought of how many South Africans fought against foreigners in our townships but as I dwell in my own foughts, I could not help to witness how a foreigner is hugged by a local. To me that brought a sense of reconciliation.

2. I dwell further in my mind and could not help how we at times discrimante against homeless people but was granted the opportunity to witness how a "black suit" reach his pocket and hand money to the homeless. That is the sense of true Ubuntu

3. My mind immediately told me how nice it will be when people do not judge me on my race but will include me based on what I stand for and who I am. A son of Africa... and this thought made me to realise how different nationalities appear on one picture... That definitely is Unity...

Reflecting on the events over the past week since the official announcement, I can not help be reminded that Tata stood for Ubuntu, Reconciliation, Unity and so many other things... and that it now our time to just our bit of what he stood for to keep the legacy alive.

South Africans, the world has seen us uniting in 2010... They once again witnessed how death brought us closer and how we irrespective of our racial and other differences we can still stand united.

Let us not fall apart after his funeral... but let us use his legacy to continue doing the most simplest thing he did: TOLERANCE!



No comments:

Post a Comment